• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Short chubby guy - insight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a private pilot with about 450 hrs of tricycle gear time (Cherokees and Skyhawks) spread over about 30 years with a 12-year layoff in there.

I've wanted to get the TW endorsement and partner on a Cub or similar.

I found a place near me that would work with me despite my weight. They have a 90hp clip wing J3.

I went up the other day for about 40 minutes. Getting in / out wasn't too bad. But . . .

I'm 5'5" 260 lbs right now (working on it). I cannot reach the carb heat and when we did the initial controls check, I'm embarrassed to admit the stick got caught up in my seat buckle (moving back left to right, it would catch the buckle).

I cinched it which seemed to solve the problem, but that spooked me. Not sure I can get the stick all the way back either. Near the end of travel but maybe not all the way.

Most other places near me have a strict 200lb weight limit, but they're both operating 65hp J3s.

This CFI/owner said he isn't concerned about my weight with the 90hp and 12 gallons of fuel (I might be wrong on the amount of fuel).

Should I bag this endeavor and focus on losing weight? Any insight into the carb heat? It was AWESOME to fly a J3 with the door open last week but the take off and landing spooked me and I'm worried I'm just too fat to be safe (and maybe it's beyond my stick & rudder skills).

Open to honest feedback. Don't say "stop stuffing your face" because if it were that easy, I'd have done it decades ago. Open to other ideas though . . .

Latest posts

Back