• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub Brakes, mine don't work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhettish

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm doing this correctly. This is my first post. I'm the manager of a 5 member LLC which owns a 1946 J3C-65 The Cub flies from a glider port on a grass strip (over clay, kind of bumpy). I'm trying the reactivate the Cub's inoperative brakes. Resurecting the original brakes will be a first step. If the original (1946) brakes can't be resurected an economical alternative would be the Grove brakes kit. If I can get this done my intention would be to only use the brakes for run-up or parking at a fly-in. There would be no other reason to use the brakes except in a dire emergency. When landing, the Cub stops itself within 50 or 60 feet on our grass strip and I've been able during my training to land on concrete and roll about the same distance. My question is: To give access to the two master cylinders, can the front seat in a J3C-65 be removed without having to open the seconite on the bottom of the plane. The front seat feet (ryhmes) on the seat appear to be 7/16 inch quarter-twenty or similar bolts which tells me there might be a nut below (under the floor board) that is holding it. Of course there may be a fitting on the airframe itself that the bolts are attached with. Mainly I'm curious as to if the seat can be removed strictly from the top with what appears to be ten (looks like) quarter-20 bolts and two other bolts that connect a 2 wide strip of steel, welded to the seat, to the base of the stick. If I get some answers to the post I'll try to get some descent photos of the area's I'm talking bout. Thanks, John Hettish N87723

Latest posts

Back