• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub is on floats!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a bit of problem solving, mostly logistical, I am happy to share that my j3 is now on floats. I talked with several people who warned me the edo 1320s I bought were under floated for my airplane. While I only have 10 hours in the airplane on floats i have yet to see any indication of that. I have had the airplane to gross several times and not a hint of a problem. I have been out in 10 knot winds with whitecaps just beginning to form and it's rock stable. Thats apt to make me drop my guard so I will appreciate it if someone could tell me what is apt to bite me that I should look out for.
These floats were made in 1946. They don't leak. Not a drop comes in. Amazing given the poor sealants used back then. The C85-12 does great with the Sensenich AK prop pitched to 38. I am at sea level but dang, I'm still impressed. A good example of the saying its not power, it's power to weight that matters.
Flying this cub on floats, door down, window up, is about as fun as it gets. If you get a chance, go get your seaplane rating in a cub. Such a hoot.

Attachments

• 260D6257-6A7B-474A-A386-A92A54058A98.jpeg
    260D6257-6A7B-474A-A386-A92A54058A98.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back