• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New Brakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Lets say that I have hypothetical access to a couple of J3 Cub look-alikes, registered experimental.

The stock brakes are ok, but parts are getting scarce, so the Grove disc brakes are installed on the 8:00x4 wheels. One of the pilots is used to Super Cubs, and really wants more braking action. And I am getting tired of putting three drops of Dot 5 in the master cylinders every three months to make up for pad wear.

I have in my hand a Grove Caliper p/n 31-5a. It looks a lot like the STC caliper, but can only be used on a homebuilt. So, why not wheel out my hypothetical homebuilt and see if this caliper fits?

Why bother? Because the 31-5a is a double-piston caliper, much like those giant Cleveland calipers used on the Alaska Supercubs, only slightly smaller.

So before I signed in, I took my hypothetical wrench set, loosened two bolts and two Weatherhead fittings, and simply slipped the mate to this caliper on the aircraft. Took ten hypothetical minutes.

Tomorrow, I plan to take a hypothetical flight, with a double-puck brake on one side. Remember, everything I am doing is a mind experiment, so what will follow need not say the word hypothetical for each and every comment.

I also have a master cylinder to think about, and I intend to think about it in the same general terms. Hypothetically.

Latest posts

Back