• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Brakes froze in flight!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam2021

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I beat the snowplow to the airport today and took off through 4 inches of light fluffy snow. No problem. I’m running 6.00 X 6 tires on Cleveland wheels and brakes. I flew about an hour to another airport.

I made a nice smooth, one might even say artful, 3 point landing. On touchdown I heard an awful squealing and the tail wanted to come up a little. The plane didn’t track straight and wanted to head off centerline. I just used my flight controls and rode it out. I was on the stop for aft stick and maybe 3/4 of right rudder. After a second or two, back to normal, everything was fine. I was maybe 10 ft off centerline.

The runway was plowed but pretty slick anyway, which was helpful. There wasn’t even a flat spot on either tire. The lockup was over before I lost aerodynamic control authority so I didn’t nose over or depart the runway.

My feet were not on the brakes, which was my first thought. I have ‘inny’ heel brakes and it’s not hard to avoid them.

Exciting stuff and I’m glad I got away with it. I won’t take off through 4 inches of snow again.

Latest posts

Back