• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Never feel so confident that you take an easy landing for granted...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennj3

Reaction score
My plane was out of annual for several weeks, got her done this past Saturday. The AI is very meticulous and my plane checked out fine with no problems and compressions all at 78! But that is another story.
While landing at the airport I chose as usual (this is the same airport I used to keep my plane so I have many landings there) to land to the right of the paved strip. Just a little wind changing directions often but not any bad wind at all. Did a nice tw touchdown and rolled along just fine. My tires are up at 20 lbs so she rolled on and on, then she suddenly started turning to my left, left wing went up. I gave some right rudder and aileron and she kept going to my left more and more. I had the stick back pretty well but felt no control. As I was coming across onto the paved strip ( I was looking and hoping not to hit a runway light) I gave a burst of power while holding right rudder and aileron. We went strait across the runway onto the grass on the other side and then she straitend out and stopped. I looked to see if I had a blown tire. Checked everything out and found no problem. Maybe I did not have the stick back far enough, I often land at home in taller grass and do not pull back fully or at least don't keep it back during landing. This was on short and even no grass (sand) so did not have the friction to help hold her strait. So don't let your guard down, be ready for a lesson each and every landing. I have only been flying her since 2003 and this is the first time anything like this has happend to me.
By the way, the first fellow that pointed me into the parking space did not see the landing, thought I was OK, then my AI came over and chatted a little and then he brought up the unusual landing!
I helped with everything, got a good price on the annual, then took him flying for 30 minutes. Flew home, then flew my wife the next day (Sunday). Suddenly after all these years she liked the 45 minute flight and wants to do it again soon. Got my I phone video of her up front and posted it on Face Book. She likes looking at the little cows, ain't that sweet!

Latest posts

Back