• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J4 Restoration, let's start a thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I restore or part out?

• Restore

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Part out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell as is

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
After finding a J4E in a barn, (yep a REAL barn find) and completing the restoration of the last Cessna 120 produced I have started down a rabbit hole of collecting as much information as I can find on the humble side by side seating J4.

The J4E I found was disassembled in the late 1950's and passed thru several owners all who seemed to either be short on funds or moved on to other projects before the project was completed. The frame and tail feathers were powder coated as some time and and appear to be in near perfect condition, the wings are straight with no signs of damage except for a little light corrosion, and the C-75 engine and aluminum propeller looks to have had some TLC in the past. All the logs were lost years ago in an adjoining hanger fire but I have a letter from a previous owner saying it had less than a 1000 hours on it and even after all these years it does have a current registration.

After researching what few sales I can find of J4s and knowing what a complete restoration can cost after rebuilding my Cessna 120 financially it would make more sense to part it all out. I do have the shop space, the ability, a long time friend AP to look over my shoulder, and an affable IA close by if I do choose to return it to flying condition.

If you are restoring a J4 please chime in on the challenges, I do know parts for these are nearly unobtainium so parting it out may make the most sense.

There is a poll at the top of this thread!
20231009_135429.jpg

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepJ-4.2.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back