• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J4 tail brace wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Could not find the thread - but thought a comment was in order. J4A restored in 2009, kept in a dry hangar and flown about 150 hours since then. We have owned it for 13 months. Just completed my first annual.

First, I am impressed with the restoration. It was on its back after the restoration; I am not quite as impressed with that work, although it is adequate.

I learned how to re-spring oleos, and how to make seats more friendly for mechanics.

My airplanes get plenty of oil - 25 hours and my oil can comes out. I always have some on most important cad plated parts. So I never have significant corrosion.

The J4 tail brace wires and fittings are streamlined, but carbon steel. They are ok, but were dry - some light corrosion on the threads. Oil! I have never seen carbon steel streamlined wires.

But worse - those beautiful brand new Univair lift strut forks - the leading edge of the front fork had been blasted by prop wash, and a light coat of rust had set in.

I have been paying attention to the Stearman clevises - they are old - but now I will make it a point to put a little oil or grease on the J4 fittings as well. Don't let these things corrode!

Latest posts

Back