• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Gary Ward/Ed Fisher J3 Restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryWard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reference
1946 J3/N88426/SN16045/Metal Spar/A75 Engine

I acquired this J3 project back in June. Last flew some 15 years ago. It was shut down for an annual and corrosion was found in the lower longerons. Following their repair, owner pulled the plug on the project and it sat in a hanger until now.

The owner surrendered the Airworthiness Certificate but a mutual friend of mine and the prior owner is an FAA FSDO type and he has assured me he can get it reinstated.

Ed Fisher/Whiteplains airport, Gilbert, SC will be doing the restoration. Ed just completed restoring a Super Cub but the J3 will be a learning experience.

Current status

Fuselage, wings and other airframe parts have been blasted or cleaned up and epoxy primed. Wings were in good shape and only had to repair a few ribs. Going with new leading edges.

Control surfaces recovered

Purchased newly rebuilt C-85-12/With O-200 crank/new mags, carb, lightweight alt and starter. Cylinders flow balanced by LyCon

Plans are to keep the starter and power by battery but no other electrical

Planing to add 8 or 12 gallon tank in left wing.

Installing all new struts.

My main concern at the moment is getting the right wing tank. I've been reading some of the older posts and see that the Wag Aero 8 gallon tank is slightly too tall but will work. Some commented that Biplanes Investments LLC, Burlington, Vt has a good tank but can't find their contact info.

Aircraft Spruce offers a 11.5 gallon tank they say will work without moving ribs. Anyone know anything about this tank and who makes it for Spruce?

I would like to do something to make the baggage compartment more practical. Any suggestions?

I do not have my old floorboards to use as a pattern. I've heard that Univair makes a nice set but they are only 3 ply. If push comes to shove, I will order a set to use as a pattern to make better ones.

My objective is to build a better than new J3 with outstanding fit and finish. Ed Fisher is very capable of doing this. I want it to be pretty authentic but not to the extent it take to make an award winner.

Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

I'll try and post some pics soon.

Gary Ward

Latest posts

Back