• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Composite Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperbrowser

Reaction score
I have always liked the Burt Rutan designs interesting and I prefer them over carbon for pure cost and simplicity reasons. Yes, I know that cub crafters is offering their new Carbon Cub, but I find the plane ridiculous (160K? Really?), in general carbon's cost is ridiculous. I had been thinking about a composite cub before I had even heard of Cub Crafter (no, I really didn't mean to interfer with THEIR idea of "Hey, composite materials are light, let's go build a bushplane out of them, it might actually get off the ground fast", but surely somebody else could've easily thought of it earlie. My question is this, what do you guys think about a Cub (Super cub because of plans available, but I wish I could find them for a real J-3) that uses the Rutan Foam and Fiberglass method. My goal would be to get the same performance as a super cub on 100 HP (but yeah I'd like 180 also). If I was able to do this, I could have a Cub that hopefully only sucked 5 gph instead of 10 gph! I would also beef up a bit of the structure to hopefully make it one heck of a bushplane. Please give me your feed back!

Connor

Latest posts

Back