• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Outies and seat cushions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
You all know how I feel about "Outie" master cylinders - my feet, being used to front seat and Super Cub brakes, cannot find the pedal end and I wind up pushing on the pin, instead of the brake.

So now I have a new pet peeve - those beautiful full-cushion foam-filled leather seats. Today I got my current star student ready for the back seat, got the engine started, and swung in to the front seat!

Well, sorta.

I literally had to take my boots off to get my right leg in. It was so difficult to get in that I left my cowboy boots on the ramp, rather than struggle out and move them to the hangar. I was far enough forward that I could not get both brakes applied at the same time. Good thing my student is quite competent.

I had noticed this before - had to pull the fancy leather and put my own stock seat cushions in to fly front seat - one of those 50 grand Cubs with all the mods - but in standard Cubs I swing into the front seat like I was 21 - no, better, since I have 50 years' practice.

Have fun! Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back