• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Stromberg Carb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
I am pretty good at these - set mine up in the 1990s and it hasn’t faltered or leaked.

The New Cub (not new any more; we have had it for 11 years and 1100 hours) has always leaked a bit. We just turn the fuel off when we park overnight. But it got worse, causing a rich mixture at idle, so time to take a look.

I put it on the calibration stand, and it sealed at 13/32, right on the money. Cleaned the passages, assembled, tested. Ok for about five minutes, then black smoke.

Off again - this time I planned to do my ten trial thing with the float. You know, if it fails to seal just once in ten trials, back to the bench. By golly, it failed at the sixth trial.

Lapped the needle - same deal. Failed at trial #6. Did it again - ditto.

So this morning I changed the float. What else could affect it after five successes?

Not the float! But I had a brand new seat in an envelope from Kelly AFB, so why not? At my wit’s end.

Before I installed the new seat I had a good look at the old one. Ten-power, and in sunlight. But I really didn’t need all that - it was obvious that someone had installed a seat designed for a Neoprene needle! And the needle was stainless.

It took five tries to get the float level back to13/32, and then I did my obligatory ten trials. Perfect. Fifteen successes in a row - no leakee! Tomorrow I test-fly.

I swear - I have seen it all with Strombergs! The notches in the needles can be rough. Floats can leak! Folks can install the wrong parts. What’s next? Good thing I am retired, and not charging a customer for all this effort.

Latest posts

Back