• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Unanswered Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGriff86

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post and new member. I'm on a fact/opinion gathering mission and I have a ton of questions but a lot of the questions seem answered or at least discussed and I can find a SOME definitive answers. Although I whole heartedly recognize that we're not talking Super Cub's here; My J-3 is my only personal plane and I would like it to be a "Poor man's Super Cub" of sorts. My future mods (on more than likely several phases of rebuilding) include: Continental C90-8F, Climb Prop( looking for advice on which one?) An Aux Wing tank, 8.50x6 Tires and VG's. I have a pretty extensive list of smaller nickel and dime type items but those are the big ones that I think will be considered THE transition from the Cub my Grandpa had, to the Cub my Grandpa WISHES he had. That being said, my questions are: What is the simplest and least labor intensive modification I can do to allow me to trim for hands off flying at approach speeds into the 30-35mph range? I was hoping I could do the elevator bungee like a PA-11 has. Not have to do the Super Cub Trim and Tail and also would prefer NOT to do the elevator VG's. If doing the Super Cub or Pacer/Tri-Pacer tail is what everyone else does to get these approach speeds, that's fine. I just don't see a lot of talk about it and it's an objective. Next is wheels and tires. Currently have Clevelands with 8.00x6 Goodyears. Not sure if it has 1.5in. Axles or if it's still 1.25. Regardless, I'd like to do 8.50's but don't want to upgrade axles. Can I do the 850's on the Grove 600x6 wheels without upgrading to the beefier axles? Is someone currently offering bigger tires that fit the 800x4 Groves because I'd love to do the Grove kit and just put bigger tires on them. Finally, the prop. I would like to do a solid 85mph IAS around 1,000-3,000 MSL @ +0 ISA and climb a solid 1000fpm at 1,220 MGTOW. Is this possible with the FWF set up I've described? What are my options. Basically, I don't wanna reinvent the wheel. I want to just know what everyone else has done or is doing to minimize weight, simplify paperwork and keep the project on budget all while making the plane fit their purposes. I don't want to necessarily blaze a trail if its unwarranted and the answers are out there. Please help! PS: Given a particular mission profile, I need BEW to be 688lbs. What items need to be omitted in order for this to be a realistic goal? This all sounds impossible to me…. So I need to know what portions of this rebuild need to be left on the table. I'll put more questions in later when and if this thread builds. Thanks in advance guys!

Latest posts

Back