• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Wrecked 1947 J-3 Value and Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwc27

Reaction score
I inherited a wrecked 1947 J-3 from my dad. He crashed it 10 years ago, hung it up in a quonset on our property, and never fixed it up. He has since died, and I am looking to get rid of it as is. I know essentially nothing about it.

My grandpa, who was a long time private pilot, has always said it was easily restorable, however, I don't trust his opinions because his mind is slipping. I talked to a guy who wants to buy it and he says it's only good for parts. The main part/fusilage/whatever is crumpled as is one of the wings. The other wing is mostly complete. I don't know how the engine is but I'm fairly certain it is not stuck.

One thing the potential buyer noted was that I needed an air-worthiness certificate or something to that effect which is essentially the title to the airplane. He says without it the airplane is not really a Piper Cub.

The guy who appraised the airplane after my dad died said it was worth $7500. He is a pilot himself, but I don't trust his opinion so much. The potential buyer said it is worth $2500, but of course he wants a good deal on it.

I just want to know what paperwork needs to be included to get the full value of this airplane and what can I expect for a selling price. I am located in South Dakota if it matters. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back