• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtam

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking at potentially purchasing a 1946 J-3/L-4 that belongs to a long-time buddy of mine, and we both have questions regarding certain maintenance related items and generally what it would take to get it flying again after sitting for 18-19 years inside a hangar. This airplane was apparently rebuilt from various parts at some point and was flying right up until about 2004, but it hasn't really seen much daylight since. My short term goal is to get this dream machine flying again sooner than later (without spending more than its worth), and eventually further down the road hopefully (10,15, 25 years...?) have it completely restored.

The two main items that come to mind (big $$$ items) are the fabric and motor condition. After taking a look recently, I felt the airplane was in decent condition after sitting that long, but I would really like to garner some opinions about the airplane from YOU, the experts!

I do have a "fabric guy" coming to look at the airplane, but it appears there may have been some mildew/mold growth on the left wing and other random areas. I was able to "wipe it clean" with a rag and water, but I'm not sure if there was any damage or penetration I can't see. I didn't notice any major signs of corrosion on the lower longerons or tail post, but I also didn't dig too deep. The motor, I'm assuming, will potentially need a complete overhaul....but I would love to hear from anyone who would say that's not necessarily the case. The rear windows have an odd D-shape feature going on, not typical to the J-3, but I'm assuming it was simply part of converting it over from an L-4. The area behind the rear seat also has a net separating the empennage section. Anybody know or have ever seen anything like it, and should it really even concern me?

With all that said, the seller (my buddy) and myself, are curious as to what this airplane might be worth and what sort of investments might have to go into it to get it airborne (doesn't have to be pretty). Any and all advice much appreciated, thanks ahead of time! See the pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_6680.JPG
    IMG_6680.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6683.JPG
    IMG_6683.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6707.JPG
    IMG_6707.JPG