• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Carbon prop for experimental Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day,

By way of introduction, I am from South Africa and have an experimental Cub clone that was built in Poland in the early 2000’s. It has an O-200 and a 74-42 wood prop that was made here in SA. It is also almost th ugliest green color you can imagine! :)

I have had some communication with JimC offline about potential performance improvements and he has been a font of knowledge and advice. Thanks Jim.

I am in the process of overhauling a set of +0.15 cylinders with 9.5:1 NFS pistons. These jugs will go on in the next 2 months. I have also designed a 4-1 merge collector exhaust that is currently being made. I am not sure what the exact increases in HP will be but I hope the O-200 can generate about 110hp after these mods.

Which brings me to the prop. Jim said a McCauley 7442 repitched to 40 will work well, but I have been searching here in SA for over 6month to no avail. After watching the latest Trent Palmer video on Youtube where he replaced his prop after a prop strike (those that don’t know his videos - go and check it out, very nice). His new carbon prop comes from a company in Ukraine called nrprop.com

They can make me a ground adjustable, 2-bladed carbon prop in either a scimitar or classic shape for a very decent price. I have heard, however, some talk of especially 2-bladed carbon props that don’t play too well with non geared engines like the O-200.
Can anyone comment on this? Is it better to go 3 bladed? (I do prefer the looks of 2 blades, but the goal here is climb performance)

Also, should a 2-bladed carbon prop be ok to put on, what length should one go for? I was thinking somewhere between 74” and 78” but will appreciate any more educated comments. (The cub is on 22” wheels, for those wondering about clearance)

Will appreciate some inputs! Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back