• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Why did they do this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a new set of lift struts with 5/8" fork ends from Univair and had them painted to match the plane. We started to install them today but discovered the following;

- the placement of the brackets for the aileron cable fairleads on the new front struts is not the same as on the old ones. The old ones had three "big" fairleads (including one on the jury strut bracket) and one small one. The lower and upper fairlead brackets are welded on with the lower one 71/2" from the lower end. The new Univair ones have only two brackets welded on, one big and one small, with the big one 33 1/2" from the lower end.

- the circumference of the new front struts is 1/2" less than the old ones. As a result, the clamp that fits around the strut to attach the jury strut to is too big.

Why would Univair do this? I'll call them tomorrow to see if I need to order a new jury strut bracket but, in the meantime, does anyone have experience with this? In particular, feeding the aileron cable through the fairlead close to the lower end, like the old strut keeps the cable aligned with the trailing edge of the strut over it's full length. With the new struts the lower fairlead is 33 1/2" from the lower end and that causes the cable to cross over the top side of the strut on it's way to that first fairlead. What's up with that?

Jack

Latest posts

Back