• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Weight of current L4's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeP

Reaction score
Guys and gals,

Hi, I have just had my L-4B/C-65-8 weighed (dry but with oil in the tank) and it has come in at 764 lb.

Back in 1992 before the 8 gal STC wing tank was fitted it was 730 (possibly 740 lb. if you include the oil in the tank and fire-ex). I can't believe that the additional fuel tank weighs more than 20 lb., let alone 44 lb.!
My aircraft has the original basic L4B flight panel and that is it! So where has the extra weight come from?

The only possibility is that the new type sealed lift struts are much heavier than the original struts?

FYI, the original factory weight for my aircraft was 693 lb.!

I have three questions for fellow L4 owners:

1. What is the empty weight of your L4 - I want to get a real picture of what aircraft currently weigh, so please let me know your weight - that includes you ladies!
2. Does anybody know the dry weight of the Aero Fabricators 8 gal STC wing tank?
3. What is the weight difference between the factory fitted L-4 struts and the new sealed struts?

Many thanks,

Joe

Latest posts

Back