• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

1940 J-3 Restoration Complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swank Field 16 June 2020.jpg

First time on grass at my favorite grass strip near home after I completed a 6.5 year/3000hr restoration on 4 April. The Cub is a 1940 Cub Trainer that I've owned outright or with my great Air Force friend since 1979. I did a total nuts and bolts restoration. Engine is Continental A75 with a Flotorp 6946 prop. Engine was totally overhauled. Gross weight increase to 1220#. 12 gal left aux tank (Biplane Investments), Univair sealed struts, Grove disc brakes, Slick Mag conversion kit, Polyfiber with Polytone finish. Color is Clyde Smith, Jr Post-War yellow. New sitka spruce spars replaced the factory original spars (that were complete with serial numbers on the spars and signatures on the ailerons). A few ribs were replaced with Dakota Cub ribs. New Dakota Cub ailerons. All instruments are as original. It was my first aircraft restoration and was quite a learning experience. Great fun. I did all the fabric and paint work in my small shop attached to my hangar. Now I get to enjoy all the fun of flying my Cub again and exploring all the grass strips nearby here in Ohio.
I have many other pictures of the restoration progress that I've posted here from time to time. If anyone is interested in seeing some more pics, I'd be glad to post them.
Jan 8 2020 (3).jpg

20200111_140420.jpg

Latest posts

Back