• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Rehabbing a 'tossed' Cub.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezflyr

Reaction score
Hi All,

My EAA chapter has been offered a 'free' A-65 powered J3 Cub. I don't have much info on it yet, other than it was flipped onto its back by high winds, and is in need of repair/restoration. Not sure if it was operating at the time of the incident or parked? I do know the fuselage was 'twisted', but has been repaired. Not sure about the engine, prop, or wings?

As a chapter member and Cub owner, I've been asked to offer my advise.....

One member of the chapter is gung-ho about this project, and has visions of being able to offer 'cheap' flight instruction to young pilots. At a bare minimum, I imagine a full recover of the airplane will be necessary. Unless the wings are obviously pristine, they would require stripping and a thorough inspection. Likewise, the engine. If running, the engine will require a teardown inspection and a prop. Even if not running and the prop is damaged, a teardown of the engine is prudent. Not even sure how long since it's been sitting!

Although we do have A&P resources in the chapter to help, the bulk of the work would be done by chapter members. In spite of that, I still see this as a fairly expensive undertaking by the chapter. The old adage of "I never realized how expensive it was until I got it for free" comes to mind!

Clearly a full assessment of the viability of this project depends on an inspection of the aircraft and a lot of details filled in. At the moment, I'm thinking that this is a much bigger effort than most folks realize. With volunteer labor, this project could take years to complete, and still cost upwards of $20K.

Never having rehabbed a 'tossed' Cub before, I'm looking for input on the magnitude of the effort to make this Cub airworthy. Do I walk away, or run....... Or, is this a project that an active EAA chapter should embrace?

John

Latest posts

Back