• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A-65 stuck exhaust valve. Longest lasting and fastest remedy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonCoastCubCoupe

Reaction score
Well I have read about it and now I get to learn all about a stuck exhaust valve on a a-65. During start up when I was pulling the prop through you could tell something wasn't right when the prop wind milled. With professional help, a bore scope and eventually pulling the valve cover it was obviously a stuck exhaust valve and we were not able to free it.

The engine has been pretty easy starting and flawless for the 9 years plus year I have owned it. I would estimate ~200 hours since overhaul, always running 100LL. Unfortunately due to the loss of my father and lots of poor coastal weather I only logged ~16 hours in the past 12 months.

I have limited free time so I would like to get the cub back online as fast as possible. What is the best longest lasting remedy you all would recommend? I was not able to track down a rebuilt chrome cylinder ready to go, but both Gibson and Dons Dream Engines said they would work on it. I am assuming the best approach is to remove and ship it out for overhaul?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back