• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

'40 J3 Gross Weight Increase Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanafos

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is one of those posts that warrants a "not this again"...feel free to let me know. I don't want to be that guy...but I'm struggling to get my head wrapped around some of this. This is something I may go ahead and do now as it makes sense to pursue it before moving forward. I know this has been discussed and there's a wealth of information...but I'll be darned if I can get my pea brain wrapped around all of the mods necessary to get to 1220. I'll spend more time on it and look at drawings, but figured I'd ask this question to eliminate a possibility. As far as I can tell I'm still stuck at 1100 as the lift strut attach fittings are not bushed. If I can use the gear legs and cabane I'm about to reference I'll hold on to them. If not, I'll get them sold as they don't need to sit here and project funds are more important. My original cabane is bent somehow from storage years so it's going to need to be replaced. Original shock struts and gear legs are fine.

Here's the question...

I picked up standard PA18 gear legs and cabane vee from a friend several years ago. He was upgrading his PA18 to heavy extended gear and it made sense to grab it at the time "just in case". Has 1 1/4" axles. So...can I (legally) use these gear legs and the cabane on my '40 J3 to help with the GW increase mods? Understanding that I'll have additional mods as a part of the process.

It looks like sealed struts will get me to 1170 if I have the lift strut attachment holes bushed? From there I get a bit confused as I read through the next 50#.

Appreciate any input. A few pics of what I have currently. If it makes financial sense to get to 1170 and call it good I'll do that....if for a few more bucks I can get to 1220...even better. My read on the extra 50# to get to 1220 would require replacement of the gear / lift strut attachment fitting (maybe I'm wrong there). I'm probably going to have a grand or so in that if that's the case. The Cub won't ever leave my family so maybe that grand is better spent somewhere other than the extra 50# in GW. I'm going to have to replace my original cabane vee anyway so thought I'd determine whether or not I can use the PA18 components I currently have.

P2011970.jpg

P2011971.jpg

P2011975.jpg

P2011974.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back