• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Project Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gener

Reaction score
I'd like to start the parts gathering stage for my second J3 project. This is a '46 metal spar basket case that was my dad's first airplane fifty years ago. I'd like to keep it pretty much stock except for a few mods based on my use. I operate out of my farm and in addition to general off-airport screwing around I deal with soft ground and mud. Before you jump on my case that a Cub shouldn't be modified, my intent isn't to turn this into some kind of F Atlee Dodge mountaineering plane...just something that handles my farm Cub flying a little better than the stock J3 I already fly.

So help me out with advice about what you would do.

1. Engine. I have a C85-12 that will be converted to a -8 and I will use as many O-200 parts as possible mainly because I have a lot of NOS O-200 parts including crank. I have a 71" McCaulley prop. JimC's O-200 field approval would be ideal but I don't see that battle in the cards.

2. Main gear. Looking at Clevelands so I can use 26" Airstreaks. At 21 pounds the 26" tires seem to be a good balance between weight and flotation. Sort of expensive but a new 8:00x4 and tube isn't exactly cheap. What, if any, main gear mods would you recommend?

3. Tail. X-mod on the fuselage. I have several Scott 3200 tailwheels and lots of parts for them so this is likely what will be installed. A Baby Bushwheel tailwheel might be nice but I probably won't spend the money since I have 3200s available.

Other than that stuff my goal is to keep it as standard and light as possible. Poly-Fiber, sealed struts, original fuel tank only, etc.

What do you think?

Latest posts

Back