• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted: Non-electrical Acessory Cover for Cont 85

I

Igor

I'm rebuilding a Cont 85 which has the accessory case for an electrical system which I don't want...I'm going strictly nonelectrical and need the Case Cover Assembly A4587 without the holes for the starter and generator.

Anyone looking for an "electrical" case cover in trade for a "nonelectrical" cover or have one for sale?

longwinglover

Reaction score
Phil,

I believe the rear case that you are looking for fits ALL the small Continentals (i.e. A-65, A-75, C-85, etc). I see them regularly on e-bay. If you go this route, be careful of the condition of the oil pump gear housing. Wear in this area will cause issues with your oil pressurs.

You may find it easier all around to find blanking plates for the starter and generator holes. Also seen on e-bay. Totally legal and probably an all around easier solution to what you are trying to do.

I'd suggest reading through these websites for additional small Continental information:
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/engines.htm

Others here will have some specific information about issues you may run into in trying to adapt a "-8" rear case to "-12" main case halves.

Good luck!

John Scott

behindpropellers

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a Cont 85 which has the accessory case for an electrical system which I don't want...I'm going strictly nonelectrical and need the Case Cover Assembly A4587 without the holes for the starter and generator.

Anyone looking for an "electrical" case cover in trade for a "nonelectrical" cover or have one for sale?
The rear of the main case of a -12 engine is different from a -8 engine so just bolting on a -8 rear case does not work. The gears are also different. Best thing to do is keep your -12 rear case and bolt the covers on.

Tim

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don Swords has an STC for converting 85-12's, 90-12's, and O-200's to dash 8's.
JimC
P.S. I'd just use the blanking plates. If need be, you can make them out of 1/4 inch aluminum plate.

Latest posts