• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C-90 Dreams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnhefley

Reaction score
Folks:

Today a friend asked me to fly his C-90 J-3 floatcub off the water and land it on floats at the local airport on the grass runway.

I'd flown his plane once before, but I'd forgotten what a ROCKET it is.

So I'm obsessing about going C90-12. My plane has an A75-8.

A couple of questions:

1. What's the best source for a C90-12? Don's Dream Machines? Barnstormers/Trade-a-Plane and rebuild? Salvage?

2. I'm not a fan of starters or electrics in Cubs. But let's face it: none of us are getting any younger. I'm thinking of running it without accessories, and just putting a plate over the accessory drive (same as in my Beechcraft when we removed the vacuum system). I can add a starter and electrics when I'm more feeble. Sound reasonable?

3. Likely cost for a C90-12? Likely resale for a 700 hour A75-8 (which is running great, with one low-ish cylinder 60+/80)?

4. You might suggest that I sell my Cub as-is, and look for a C-90 Cub. For a variety of reasons, I'd rather not. The reasons range from the integrity of my airframe to the sentimental - My wife and I really loved the old lady who sold me the plane.

Thoughts?

jh

Latest posts

Back