• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A85 to C85 (Stroker) with O-200 Cylinder Exhaust Fit Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonflyer

Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently mounted a Stroker based on a C85-12 (STC converted to -8 = no accessory-case) with O-200 crank and cylinders. I thought I had done ALL of my homework including talking and dealing with experts on the topic where we all agreed that everything would mount-up and be the same-same (same engine mount, same exhaust, no issues with exhaust-can clearance as I have no starter or -12 clearance issues with oil screen).

To my surprise, the resulting exhaust dimensions were different than the A75 that it replaced. While the exhaust flanges meet/mount to the cylinders as-expected, the whole exhaust system is riding about 5/8” lower the original setup (when measured to the cowl and/or engine mount). I believe that this is all due to the O-200 cylinders (Millennium) having a slightly different dimension on the exhaust port relative to the crankcase/engine-mount. (unless someone convinces me that the C85-12 case, converted to a -8, is different dimension than a true -8).

As a result, I must modify the manifolds (either cut the down pipe and/or angle the rear) or modify the cowl. I’m trying to keep this as original looking as possible. Thus, I don’t want to modify the cowl and would rather tweak the exhaust system.

Before I cut & weld the manifolds, does anyone have any experience with this situation or have better ideas?

For comparison purposes. A75 picture of my original setup and the new Stroker/C85 setup with top cowl only. You will see that the exhaust-to-cowl relationship in the A75 was not dead-center but visually acceptable. The new setup only allows me to show the relationship to the top cowl as the bottom cowl is a no-go without the mods.

For reference the dimensions of the cowl for the exhaust is: 3 3/8", the exhaust OD is 2", the current distance from the top cowl to the OD of the exhaust is 1 11/16". Thus, I need to "raise" the exhaust by a minimum of 5/16"; safer would be ¾’; to be centered vertically in the hole would be 1".

y4mEOrNpTwd8YrO8USlhJOO63IXup0pMVFIA9KliRRHrclo0kfq6napzyJwrasjAhf8vLh7I525vIGP-kBNijexknB_2KnHaHp21GGnze7EyRxMTE7JIXwXYRIjsdhENOznY32gou_kb5xCBeMBLQHH0lTtGiU5Xb_43d_Q-0A7Nse5DMHVNOJwxpC-NAq4WDweqhBME1vtX4juSQwzAjEokQ

y4m8orVOOCimkn6X69BRXvJlCk7Rjg3Do4OUv1OtCcXaLPgdbCSj6gLh3trUyz80vnk8KlXXi2-sl6UN-ZRMrVucQ2q864WHsIhgUKYCTIFCNY73YA0-6QyxocvFdjIZZqjDD54JZvzWWz4SmM-4Oez-ZrLs0Jpd9AOqTddBU-hTjwThq9mnXHVNFaSW-_GmR9rxYzEvCFX1C9GBDesu7759Q

Latest posts

Back