• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted: instruments for my 1940 J-3

Reaction score
Any help in located the black faced altimeter and Tachometer. I need a U.S. Gauge Co. oil temp. I need a Carwil Compass type 61. Im not sure yet of the airspeed indicator. Any help would be great. Thanks. Garrett. My number is 816-507-1498. E-mail is [email protected].

longwinglover

Reaction score
Gary and Garrett,

You have both posted multiple times (but cleaned up, THANKS!) looking for pre-war instruments.

US Guage oil pressure and oil temp gauges are about as rare as hens teeth - but are occasionally found. Asking on here was as good a place as any, but you might want to try other type club websites. ONE temp gauge has come up on e-bay in the last year and a half (I've tracked certain Cub parts). These gauges (esp. oil temp) were thrown out when the bourdon tube broke off - often replaced with a Scott gauge. If you do find a temp gauge you can expect to have to have it overhauled and a new bourdon tube installed.

Remember that pre-war Cubs also used Airpath Type 60 bubble faced compasses. They are more available than the Carwill compasses and 5 have been on e-bay in the last year and a half.

Waltham "RR track" tachs come up on e-bay (three in the last year and a half).

The Aeromarine airspeed and non-sensetive altimeters are identical pre- and post-war with the exception of the face color/markings.

Keystone Instruments in Lock Haven, PA is the best option for Cub instrument work, IMHO. Unless it comes with a yellow tag, you can expect to need to have anything you purchase overhauled - they are 65+ years old, you know. Keystone can do "majic" on most any brand instrument and make it appear like an original style. Y'all need to take the time to talk to them.

Another potential source is local fly-in "fly markets". Forget Sun-n-Fun and good luck at OSH. Connections with other "antiquers" is good for a shot too.

Good luck, but remember this requires patience and a LOT of money.

John Scott

Reaction score
I found a Waltham Tachometer, thanks for your generosity Dave. Furthermore, thank your for taking the time to send me pictures of your instrument panel John. You have helped me and steered me in a better direction in how I want to complete my aircraft.

Latest posts