• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

O59A/L4A original Specifications/Configuration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishface

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All I have just purchased an O59A that was built in 1942. It was redesignated as an L4A at some point before being assigned to the 2nd Free French Armoured division, 12th Air Force in Dec 44.

There are some interesting things on the aircraft. The data plates look original but for both the Piper Data plate and the USAAC Data plate the acceptance dates have been cut off of the bottom. It was originally 'demobbed' onto the French civil registry after the war and then subsequently transferred onto the UK civil registry. Does anyone know why the acceptance date would have been cut off?

I have a ton of questions about it's original configuration/specification. I would like to return it to as original as possible circa 1944 when it went into service.

Firstly instruments I assumed that O59A would have the same instruments as the L4A and B i.e. Cream SW tacho 3500 rpm, Aeromarine ASI 20-140 MPH, Bendix Airpath B16 non illuminated compass, Aeromarine non sensitive 0-20K Altimeter and an SW oil temp/pressure gauge. I then saw a picture of an O59A at fort sill in 1942 which had a very early panel i.e. 1938-42 J3 style Panel with black faced gauges. I have seen some comments about build sheets for individual aircraft where would I get one of those? Can I determine from the serial number how it would have left the factory. I have also seen comments saying that L4As and Bs were updated to L4H and J standard. How would this have been done and is there any way of knowing if this took place? My aircraft has a later, very battered two piece panel in it with non original instruments except for the ASI.

Other questions;
What screws, nuts and bolts would have been used in 1942? I assume cross head screws, with ANS hardware with silver Cad plating. Were Philips screws used on Cubs?

Is there a standard set of colours for the L4s did this change during production and are there any modern equivalent colour references like RAL codes for example that I can use to get the correct colour paint/dope etc. My Cub is OD but I'm not convinced that the colour is correct and it has no grey on the underside. One other question regarding paint why do some cub military schemes have darker green applied on the leading edges etc?

Seat covers, I know that the drawings call for black leatherette seat covers. My question is how does the seat base in the L4 differ from the J3 or is it the same? Where can I get the OD canvas back strap and hardware as per the L4?

Leveling posts, my cub does not have the leveling pins/tubes on the port cockpit longeron. It has the frame plate and the number matches the original frame number. Does this mean they have been removed or were some O59As built without them?

Original radio installation, the the L4A manual the radio transmitter and receiver references differ from some of the posts I have read on the internet. Is there definitive list of radio equipment and does anyone know where I can find the components. Transmitter, receiver, remote control, trailing antenna, microphone, battery indicator and battery box.

Check list, does anyone make these or has everyone made them up from the drawings?

Sorry for the brain dump I will have loads more questions to come!

Best wishes Pat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back