• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Greenhouse ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just become the caretaker of a 1942 Cub. :) It's been in my area since 1946 and I have the history and log books since. I'm just wondering about it's military years. I have the FAA CD. It shows the bill of sale from Piper Aircraft (signed by William Piper) to the army in May of 1942. It is listed as a o-59A and described as being in army colors. In the paperwork of 1946 when it was sold by the Defense Corporation to a private buyer as surplus it was listed as a o-59/L4A army serial # 42-36710. It has long been converted to Cub yellow with the D windows but if you look close and feel behind the cockpit you can tell where the frame to the greenhouse would be. I'm sure the fuselage is original. The wings have had a more colorful life and have been rebuilt with metal spars.
At some point I plan to rebuild it and would like to put it back in it's original o-59a/L4a configuration if possible. From all I can research I'm fairly confident that it was originally delivered with the greenhouse. Is there anyway to tell for sure.
Thanks
Skip

Latest posts

Back