• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Thinking about winter. Give me your tips!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnhefley

Reaction score
Fellow Cubbites:

My J-3 sits happily on my beach on Lake Champlain in Vermont on floats on a seaplane ramp.

A couple of years ago I was bitten by the skiplane bug, flying with Don Lee at Alaska Floats and Skis in Talkeetna, Alaska. (shameless plug. Don's a great guy if you ever get the chance to fly with him.)

Anyway, today I agreed to purchase a set of skis. Prior to the purchase, I snooped around here and elsewhere for lots of handy tips on vetting skis, re-skinning them, rigging them, etc. etc. So if you were one of the generous people who shared your knowledge in one of these message threads, thank you. It was all very helpful and informative. And that info helped me decide to buy, as well as helping me formulate a plan to make these skis EXACTLY what I want them to be.

Here's the problem: I don't normally fly my cub below 32 degrees F due to pre-heating hassles. The main problem is that the preheater I'm using (borrowing, actually) just isn't set up for a J-3. And I'm clearly doing something wrong, because the preheating process is really a deterrent to flying in the winter.

So here's where I need YOUR help Ski-Cubbites! Before winter's arrival, I need to set up a pre-heating system that is convenient, safe, and efficient. I really don't want the electrical cylinder/oil tank elements, because when my airplane is on land, it's 45 minutes driving time away. And I don't have 6 hours upon arrival to wait for the electrical gizmos to pre-heat my engine.

I've read a mention of Cubbites using popcorn poppers as well. But if my Cub is on my beach on skis, I won't have electrics available to use a popcorn popper either.

So I'm thinking of a kerosene fueled salamander. Something I can transport to the plane in my truck or on my tractor, fire up, and 30 minutes later, go flying.

But the open cowl presents problems, as does the limited access from beneath the cowl.

I KNOW the rest of you Cubbites and Ski-Cubbites aren't suffering through winter Cubless while your Cubs hibernate! I've seen the pictures!!!!

So if you have an elegant pre-heating and insulating setup for your Cub, please respond here - preferably with pictures. Because I'm getting tired of NOT flying my Cub in the winter because "it's too cold."
jh

Latest posts

Back