• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cold weather flying improvements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam2021

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last winter I preheated by blowing hot air from a home depot space heater into a Bruce cowl cover. While thrifty, it took a long time to heat the engine and it is scary to leave it unattended. I replaced it with a Reiff system which has elements on the sump and a band around each cylinder barrel. It weighs one pound.

I turned on the heater last year with a timer so I had to get to the hangar the day before flying to set it up. Major pain; I barely have time to fly at all let alone go the the hangar twice! This year, I bought a remote switch operated by cellular signals. I can turn it on with an app on my phone. I can also set up timers from the app.

Last year I wore a couple pairs of pants, a couple jackets, work boots with thick socks and still froze. I bought an insulated flight suit of eBay that is cozy as heck but not too bulky for the cockpit.

I flew today, oat 18f. The switch worked great, the engine warm, the suit cozy. I was very comfortable! It was beautiful and 65 horses seemed like plenty!

Except for my feet. I put chemical toe warmers in my boots and my toes were still cold. I can’t fit bigger insulated boots in there. I’m thinking about getting electric socks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back