• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Tailwheel SP Instruction Wanted, PA/OH...Anywhere

makalutoo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for primary sport pilot instruction in western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio or any where within a couple hours drive of Pittsburgh. I have a couple of weeks in the beginning of June that I would like to get as much of the sport pilot training done as possible then. I am interested in doing it in a tail wheel, preferably a j-3.

While I would like to do this near PA I would be willing to go somewhere else If there was an opportunity available. Leave a message or PM me with detals please.

Thanks in advance,
chris

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Click on the link below,
http://www.sportpilot.org/instructors/index.html
and it will take you to the EAA site where you can select a state, hit "go to" and you will get a table showing instructors in that state which say they will give light sport instruction. There is a column that shows what aircraft they have available, if any. The info below is for the state of PA, with only the instructors shown who indicate they have an aircraft available.

You will two Champs and three J-3's here, although two of the instructors may be refering to the same J-3.

Auburn
Dave Denning Grass Roots Aviation 215-459-3133 [email protected] Airplane land, Tailwheel
Aeronca Champ

East Berlin
Thomas C. Harry Barnstormer Aviation LLC 717-421-7889 [email protected] Airplane land, Tailwheel, Glider
Aeronca 7AC Champ

Kutztown
Art Tarola AirSports Aviation 610-894-9953 [email protected] Airplane land, Tailwheel
Piper J-3 Cub,
Interplane Skyboy

Kutztown
Earl Binder Kutztown Airport 610-683-5666 [email protected] Airplane land, Airplane sea, Tailwheel, Glider
Piper J3 Cub

Lancaster
Al Hubler Adventure Flight Training 717-468-8014 [email protected] Airplane land, Tailwheel Flight
Design CT,
Evektor SportStar

Lancaster
John W. Calla, Jr. Liberty Sport Aviation LLC 717-818-9063 [email protected] Airplane land Flight Design CT,
Evektor SportStar

Shrewsbury
Robert Snyder American Sport Aviation 410-215-4223 [email protected] Airplane land, Airplane sea, Tailwheel
Quicksilver Sport 2S,
Quicksilver GT500/912

Tunkhannock
Charlie Gay Skyhaven Inc. 570-836-4800 [email protected] Airplane land, Airplane sea, Tailwheel
Piper J-3 Cub

Good luck.
Chuck Shaw

makalutoo

Reaction score
Chuck,

Thanks for the info. I have contacted a bunch of folks on that list and haven't gotten too many replies. Thought I had someone lined up but it looks like that might not be the case now. I am going to keep going down the list and hope something works out.

-chris

longwinglover

Reaction score
Chris,

If you can go somewhere other than PA/OH, I'd got to Hartford, Wisconsin (between Milwaukee and Oshkosh) with Steve Krog of Cub Club note.

Steven L. Krog
Cub Air Flight LLC
PH: 262-305-2903
E-mail: [email protected]
Airplane land, Tailwheel Piper J3 Cub

John Scott

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Chris,
If you want to get as much done as possible during the two weeks it would pay to go to someplace that is really active in light sport training. I agree Steve Krog would be great if he can take you.
A very active school is located right on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, at Bay Bridge Airport, Stevensville MD, and from what I have seen and read about their operation, they are sure worth a try if you can get down that far from PA. Not a tailwheel place, but like has been discussed many times it is much easier to find a place that teaches in tricycle gear aircraft. Get the tailwheel time later.
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com/flight-training.asp

sar47

Reaction score
one more option,
Stewarts aircraft in waynesville, ohio. Cubs to PT-17's for rent and instruction. Southeast of Dayton Ohio. Grass strip.
www.stewartsaircraft.net

makalutoo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's. I will look into my options.

chris

J

johnnyskyrocket

Second to John Scott.

I know Steve has done compressed Sport Pilot programs for people and I highly recommend him as an instructor. I have my Cub based at Hartford and Steve has helped me out quite a bit over the last couple of years.

-john-

makalutoo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input folks. I contacted Stewart's and scheduled some time with them in June. They have a 65hp, 85hp j3 and a champ. It should be fun!

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do the tailwheel first. It makes the whole learning process much easier. When one starts with nosewheels, he has to relearn a bunch of stuff upon switching to tailwheels. If you learn the tailwheel first, there is nothing to relearn when switching to a nosewheel.
JimC

Latest posts