• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Oh boy!!! Need a little help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n22831

Reaction score
Alrighty... my father recently passed away and willed me his J-3 Cub... so I'm officially joining the club!! BUT, I'm kind of lost as to what to do to get the old bird flying again... here's what I know SO FAR and the questions I have:

• [li]The fabric is in excellent shape (even though it was recovered in 1985-87, it's been in an enclosed hangar ever since, and not exposed to the elements... it's not had a lot of hours on it, and the guy who recovered it said it still has a good 15-20 years left before I need to consider recovering it).[/li]

[li]She's WAY past due for an annual... C85 engine in it BTW. I know I've got some people I can get to do this part for me, but what I'm scared about is the cost because I'm going to assume that all the rubber is going to need to be replaced- I noticed some cracked pieces up by the front left cylinder and I'm sure that there's a lot more hiding under the cowls.[/li]

[li]Speaking of which... I need new engine cowls (the lower has a little bit of damage to is and is dented, the upper is cracked, however that might just be due to the age of the paint on the metal).[/li]

[li]I need new tires (the plane has sat for 10 or 12 years without flying and I'm sure it's got a flat spot on it... I pulled it out of the hangar it was in the other day to let it know that the sun and that the wind still exists and it was fairly hard to push out... although it did need air :eek: )[/li]

[li]The rear seat cushion is ripped from a nut on the yolk, how hard are new cushions to come by?[/li]

[li]Where can I get a weight/balance sheet & speed chart so I can fly her safely (I found the original owners manual for it believe it or not!)[/li]

[li]I guess there's been an AD a few years ago about the struts... can anyone fill me in?[/li]

[li]I have 2 props for the Cub, a cruise and a McCauley climb prop- the climb prop was damaged (same time as the lower cowl) and has a couple of "chunks" taken out of it from hitting a pole... is that prop fixable or should I scrap it and invest in a new one? (I can pull it out and posts pictures of it)[/li]

[li]I know that the registration is out of whack, and I work for the FAA and am fixing that myself... so that's at least solved, and I've requested the records because the only records I've found so far are just my dad's private pilot log and not the actual a/c log... I know they're around somewhere, but what does that do to the value if I only have copies and not the originals?[/li]

The last one that my Dad and I never got figured out is a rough value on her (I need it for the Estate)...
Here's the info I know of it from what I posted a few years ago & what my dad posted:
[list type=decimal]
[li]1939 J-3 Cub (manufactured 22 Nov 1939) in Pennsylvania[/li]
[li]Reed Clipped Wings done in 1961 (and no, I have no intentions to put her back to normal... my dad bought her this way and I'm going to keep her this way[/li]
[li]1985- plane was recovered & engine upgraded to C-85 (my Dad told me it has about 400 hours before it's next overhaul is due).[/li]
[li]It currently has no transponder, nor electrical system, but it does have wing lights (useable if a small car battery is placed up in front of the passenger seat). It also has a radio antenna with a cable to plug in a radio. SOMEWHERE there's a log book for the plane back to 1941. ::)[/li]
[/list]

ANY and ALL help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks![/list]

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

334379_521026317873_95200818_30483346_998074026_o.jpg

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

334379_521026317873_95200818_30483346_998074026_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back