• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Strut-wing attach bracket problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryBrown

Reaction score
The left wing of my J3-C65 was rebuilt last year. It is now time for the Annual Inspection. My A&P/IA (not the person who rebuilt the wing) says there is a problem with the brackets that attach the strut to the front wing spar. Where the strut bolt goes through the two attach brackets there (is supposed to be?) a washer that is welded onto the inside of each bracket. This welded washer doubler is present on the right wing, but not on the new left wing. There are washers on the left, but they are not welded in place. My IA says we must remove the attach fittings (a whole other problem because one of the inspection holes isn’t present on the new wing--) and weld on the washers. I have spoken to the guy who rebuilt the wing and he says the washers don’t need to be welded but that if my IA is insistent, he should use a bonding agent (Devcon) to attach the washer to the strut attach bracket. This sounds like a much easier fix than tearing the wing apart but my IA says this is not acceptable.

Anyone know what the answer is??? If there is supposed to be a washer welded on the end of the attach bracket, why is it sold without it??? Or is it required for some planes (say maybe PA-11) but not the J3?? What happens if I don’t weld this?? Will the wing fall off??

Latest posts

Back