• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Rear landing gear attachment brackets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel Hitchman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchase two new brackets from Univair U21642-002 to upgrade my 1940 Cub from 1100lbs gross weight to 1220lbs gross weight, the front attachments having already been upgraded by some previous owner many year ago as part of a repair.
these fittings are the only ones shown on the Univair website and are not annotated left or right, so I presume are good for both sides. I also note that Wag Aero also only has one fitting for both sides.
However, I noticed on the drawing that Piper shows a slightly different left and right side with the original part numbers 20401-00(L) and 20401-01(R) and replacements 21642-02(L) and 21642-03(R) the only difference appears to be the two tabs that are welded to the vertical tubes on the fuselage sides which are at a slightly different angle and one is slightly longer than the other. So it would appear that if you put the attachment for the left side on the right, it will fit just fine, except these tabs will go in a slightly different place on these tubes, but will still fully contact the tubes.

so are these parts acceptable for both sides, or is there a different part that I must have for the right side? Given that Wag produces the same part for both sides and Univair only shows one part too, I presume this is correct. I note there is another part U21642-003 on the Univair website, but there is no picture of it or description except “fits Piper J3, PA-11” And it’s $50 more expensive, which suggests it’s not just the right hand version which I would have thought would be the same price and would have a similar picture. I have asked Univair the question, but no answer yet.
hopefully I can use what I’ve got and don’t have to pay the massive shipping costs as well as import duty again, as well as the cost of sending the old part back! I should have read that Univair/Cub Club article on increasing the gross weight yet one more time!

Latest posts

Back