• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Wood Spar Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanafos

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d put this out there for input. Recently inspecting my wings to get ready to work on them and noticed this bit of rash and splinter that is new. Appears that something may have been pulled across the wood and it roughed the edge up slightly and caught the end of the grain and lifted it for an inch or so. The bottle cap is there for size reference. Waiting on FAR’s from my IA that he reassures me will provide clearly spelled out limitations for this type of issue. Haven’t heard anything yet so thought I’d do a bit of research myself and reach out to folks on here. My gut says it’s a glue / epoxy and revarnish when I do the wing, but sure won’t be going with just my gut. I did a search for “FAR’s for wood spar inspection and damage repair” and came up with the attached image as a part of the 46 page FAA publication. It appears that it does in fact provide limitations for such damage B/10 for instance and it appears that B = the height of the spar. I don’t see anything related to length limitations. Being more than new to this side of things, I figured I’d ask for input. The wings have been well cared for and the spars all look good (recently “inspected” and given a thumbs up) but this damage has appeared in the past couple weeks. These are in my garage, so it’s a relatively controlled environment. The damage is on the rear spar inboard of the lift strut attachment about 18”.

Very much appreciate any insight.

The full file I found online...

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/amt_airframe_handbook/media/ama_Ch06.pdf

0417733F-D96B-4250-A6CF-4FBB3C0E74A2.jpg

4246E6ED-A9DA-4E3C-9448-F2D0691F9033.jpg

41F6EF4B-2D89-4A3C-84CE-2865002BDF0A.jpg

24BA6CC5-C498-4071-9345-8F0F7B328EE5.jpg

A1F1FA91-6A15-4016-BBB5-CE729EB2C560.jpg

9E16A68F-D4F1-4FF8-95AA-158D7068670E.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back