• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Special Issuance Medical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Johnson

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, I picked this up on the other site. I know this will effect some of us.
http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16996

To my pilot friends:

You are not going to believe this. At first I didn't believe it, but then I called the FAA Regional Flight Surgeon's office and it was confirmed. Here is the story:

I logged on the the AMCS website to enter a pilot's recent medical exam via the Internet to the FAA. Here is the notification I was met with:

Attention all Aviation Medical Examiners
Please remind your airmen they must carry their Authorization Letter at all times while exercising their pilot's license privileges. The Authorization Letter must be in the possession of the airman or be readily available in the aircraft. Airmen must present this Authorization to you at the time of each FAA medical application.

Here is a link to the web page if you want to see it yourself:

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/ame/amcs/

As most of you know, there are 16 separate diagnosis in FAR part 67 that require "special issuance" medical certification. As part of the "special issuance" medical certification, the airman is issued an "authorization letter" which is reviewed by AME's during the medical exam. The last time I checked the FAR's possession of the "authorization letter" was not a required item in order to exercise privileges of an airman. It still isn't, BUT according to the regional flight surgeon's office that instruction will be included in all future authorization letters AND the FAA is in the process of putting this regulation in the FAR's.

This is just plain NUTS! No FAA inspector that does a ramp check is going to be able to understand or interpet the information in the authorization letter without an MD or DO degree. Hell, I even call the FAA once a month or so to ask for interpretation help and I do about 200 airman physicals a year! I urge all of us to ask the AOPA to fight this STUPID proposed FAR and write our congressmen/senators about this.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!

Bill Gilbirds, M.D., FAAFP, Senior AME

Latest posts

Back