• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

FAA Regs Certified vs. Experimental-AB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5man

Reaction score
The "Bunkerhill2" ;D thread brought up the issue of why it's OK for the builder/owner of a rather complex homebuilt to do his own work but he can't work on a simple J3/lawnmower...

Indeed ANYONE can work on a homebuilt, only the yearly condition inspection must be completed by an A&P (or repairman for that aircraft)

It's rather simple. The FAA has a mandate to ensure that certified aircraft at maintained in a "safe" legal manner . I think the public understands that.

Thank the Lord that a rather small group of people back in the 50's pressed the issue and we now have the freedom to build or buy an experimental aircraft and basically be in charge of our own safety...

As far as passengers go I will remind the pilots of homebuilts that not only must the aircraft have the warning sticker, but the pilot must brief the passenger on the fact that the aircraft is not necessarily designed, built or maintained to the standard of a certified aircraft....therefore the passenger(NOT the FAA) becomes responsible for his own safety.....

I like it that way!

It's rather simple, If anyone does not like jumping thru the hoops applied to certified aircraft, acquire a homebuilt!

I've owned several homebuilts and a couple certified aircraft. Both certified aircraft(C120 and PA16) were purchased in flying/in annual and both were found to have problems........The PA16 had a major engine failure(bogus oil pump/no log entry) shortly after I sold it. The FAA went nuts trying to nail me and my IA but had to settle on the previous owner......

My experience with the homebuilts on average has been problematic. IMHO anyone who buys a homebuild better have zero trust in it's previous owners and have the ability to inspect and rebuild if necessary himself or have friends with such knowledge. (of coarse the same is true of a certified, best to either be an IA or even better to have an IA for a best friend who trust you to do the work but will still give you work an honest inspection)....

Bottom line(for me) is that if you don't like the FAA hoops, build or buy a homebuilt. But if you buy, you will still need to have a relationship with a friendly certified A&P.....

IMO it is rather useless to harp on the FAA regs, they is what they is and probably likely to get worse.... I'm just glad we have an option with a little bit of freedom still left.....

Jack

Latest posts

Back