• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Importing a light aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
I realize we have treaties, but have not looked in detail lately - a friend brought a light aircraft from Canada, and is now trying to get it registered with a US Airworthiness Certificate.

He was told he needed a DAR, but found that the nearest designee was 200 miles away. So the FSDO initially agreed to do the inspection.

There is more to it than that, but I am awaiting further information. I am not personally involved except that the guy is a friend and may need some guidance.

First, several mechanics have refused to even look at the aircraft for the required annual and AD check. I suspect, but am not sure, that they are fearful of getting crosswise with an FAA inspector. One mechanic agreed, but then found a small ripple in the fabric and deemed that enough of a reason to withdraw from the project.

My impression is that once an IA contracts for an annual, he has the option to sign the logbook as "Annual Inspection complete, and a list of discrepancies has been given to the owner." I am not sure this will suffice at the FSDO - but I believe it is worth pursuing.

The aircraft itself seems nice enough - it made it all the way from Canada under its own 65 Lycoming power, and may be worth as much as $20 grand, although it cost its owner $6K or so several years ago. It is probably worthless until this process plays out.

Anybody here been through this process lately? Can the FAA demand a designee?

Latest posts

Back