• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

C90 - Passed on one...thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanafos

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some have read I've sort of been on a "find an engine" kick for my current Cub project (very much still in project phase). So, the thought behind the engine pursuit is along the lines of...if a very good opportunity presents itself I'd make the decision to divert airframe dollars to an engine. I think I'm over that for the time being after some sound advice from a fellow member and friend on here, but thought I'd get some thoughts on a C90 I passed on yesterday (and was sold within an hour of my "pass"). Purely for the sake of conversation, here was the thoughts process and I'm interested in how others would have proceeded. I'd guess others will face similar decisions in their projects.

Engine...

C90-8 built from a core (no data plate) and parts.

Standard crank and cam (earlier 530788 cam)
400 hour cylinders (honed) w/ new pistons
Connecting rods yellow tagged
Bendix mags (500 hour)
Stromberg Carb

All critical parts were locally magnafluxed and the connecting rods were yellow tagged. A new data plate would have been put on the case and logs started as a TT Unknown C90 that had been disassembled, inspected and reassembled with notations of work done and parts replaced. An IA had done all of the work and had intended to use it on an airplane of his own before another project came along calling for funds and he was just recovering his parts costs. Very good guy to deal with. Price was firm at $8000 (I thought was very reasonable). My local A&P had a conversation with him and gave me a thumbs up regarding the work and his comfort level on the engine mechanically.

I passed purely as my J3 is certified and I felt that putting a TT Unknown engine on it would not do me or my kids (future owners) any favors moving forward even though it had essentially gone through a major overhaul. $8k for an overhauled C90 appears to be a super buy, but potential headaches with paperwork and logs in the future. Anyone feel like passing on it was a missed opportunity?

I'm gonna do my best to just focus on the airframe for now and worry about an engine down the road. Have the fuselage scheduled for GW increase upgrades currently (after thought that folks on here convinced me to go ahead and do). Won't happen til next fall as my guy is booked out a ways.

Has been an incredibly interesting learning curve already. Long ways to go yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back