• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Smitty and I fly to Cranland Mass. Fly In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry @ FOK

Reaction score
When I ordered my Sport Cub, I asked CubCrafters to leave the graphics off the nose because I knew I wanted to do something of my own there, but I wasn't sure of what. After flying N94SR a few weeks I realized what I wanted to do.

My best friend, Bob Smith, had passed away a few years earlier. Bob and I were modelers and we spent thousands of hours talking airplanes, particularly Cub type airplanes. Flying N94SR is exactly the kind of flying that Bob would have loved and it's a shame he missed it. It finally dawned on me that N94SR should be named "Smitty" in Bob's honor so that Smitty and I could keep flying together. In the first photo, you'll see the graphic that I added to the nose of N94SR, henceforth to be known as Smitty!

I found a great website, http://www.flyincalender.com . You enter your location and how many miles you'd be willing to fly to a Fly-In and the site comes up with a calendar of events in your area. This past weekend, Fly In Calendar said there would be a Fly-In at Cranland, Mass., just South of Boston, that was about 120nm away so I thought Smitty and I would take a ride.

Friday was a strange day for a Fly In and I could have called ahead to confirm it, but as I wanted to take a flight anyway, I just went. The morning started off very foggy. Believe it or not, there's a four runway (eight depending on how you look at it) airport, one of them 10,000' long, just past that taxiway in photos #2 and #3.

When I got up to Cranland I found out that, sure enough, the date was wrong on the site. That wasn't Fly In Calendar's fault. Someone had just entered the wrong info as it's up to the people who are running a Fly In to enter the data. Anyway, the airport is great and I had a really nice flight up and back. Photo #4 is of Tom, who owns the nicest Super Cruiser I've ever seen. He was spending the day shooting touch and goes at Cranland. All and all, Smitty and I had a great day together.

Larry

IMG_0368L.jpg

IMG_0446L.jpg

IMG_0447L.jpg

IMG_0452L.jpg

IMG_0368L.jpg

IMG_0446L.jpg

IMG_0447L.jpg

IMG_0452L.jpg

Latest posts

Back