• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Readbacks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Have I done this before?

As far as I can tell, you must acknowledge any ATC instructions with your N-number and a word, like Roger, or Wilco, or something similar. But I am teaching a slightly enhanced readback:

I teach - every time you hear a runway number, read it back with your last three digits. Every time you hear an altitude, even VFR, read that back, with your N-number, abbreviated.

Every time you hear the words "Hold Short Of" Read that back, etc.

I am considering adding the word "cross" - as in "Cross 28 left, then contact ground" - and of course the runway number as in my first point above.

Everything else, VFR, gets a roger, wilco, looking, or some other one word answer with an abbreviated N number. My reason is simple - there are too many folks practicing their English on the frequency, so we native speakers need to free up some air time.

But here is a question: Remember how you were cleared to cross any runways enroute to your assigned runway? That may have changed in August of this year, or it may not have - what will happen to you if ATC says taxi to runway 23 via all those taxiways, but forgets to say "cross 28 left, cross 29 right" in accordance with their new procedures. Is your clearance limit still runway 23, or are you now not authorized to cross?

Latest posts

Back