• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Propeller Theory and Practice--Limited Data, Sorry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlmill

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2+ month old Legend Cub with the Continental O-200 and the Sensenich 72" ground adjustable prop. I've mostly been running it with the 46" pitch cartridge but recently tried the 50" cartridge.

Here is the, so far, limited data @ 75 degree temp:

46 vs 50
rpm with 60 mph climb 2525/2300
rpm full power level 2750+/2600
true speed at 2400 rpm 92/98

First the Theory part: I realize that speed vs pitch change will be very non-linear and will need testing with various power, prop pitch, altitude variations to determine the point of diminishing return as far as trading off climb/runway length is concerned. My question is, will variations in climb rpm, max rpm, and fuel flow per a particular rpm be more linear with prop pitch change than speed? I'm trying to interpolate/extrapolate with limited data

Now the Practical: In June I plan to put this Cub on Baumann 1500's. How much will the additional float drag reduce the above rpm #'s with the 46" pitch? In other words, should I be ordering a 44" cartridge?

Thanks,

Carl

Latest posts

Back