• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

First Flight!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Finally was home enough to finish my engine prop installation, and the annual. It's been almost a year and a half since I flew my Cub, and yesterday was a perfect day for the test flight. Clear, light winds, 70 degrees and no humidity (west coast ya know!)

After a previous day's ground run and leak check, I had a grin ear to ear when I put the coals to my previously A-65 powered ship, and let the C-85/O-200 loose. Felt like a rocket ship. I climbed at 70mph which is a speed I rarely saw in cruise with the A-65.

I orbited at 2,000' at 2,300 RPM for 30 minutes for the test/initial break-in and wanted to run some numbers past you guys to make sure I'm getting comparable performance figures:

Engine: C-85 Stroker, 3 SMOH (on the test stand)
Prop: Sensenich metal, 76-AK-2 pitched to 42
Oil: Straight 40wt mineral oil
2,000' / 65-70 degrees
Level break-in RPM: 2,300 RPM
Cruise speed at 2,300 RPM: 80-85 MPH
Level, full throttle indicated RPM: 2,450
Level, Full throttle indicated speed: 90 MPH
Full throttle static RPM : 2,400

The oil temp got up to 120 degrees, and the oil pressure was good throught the flight. Post flight revealed no leaks, a little bit of water in the cowling from the breather tube, but otherwise normal.

I think I had mentioned that I wasn't too impressed with DDM paint work on the engine, lots of cracked and peeling for a new engine, and little evidence of any surface prep, but all three times I've propped it, it's started on the first or second pull, and that's since being pickled since 2005.

Over all I was very impressed with the engine/ prop combo. I won't be so hesisitant to take it over the mountains anymore.

Lastly, what's a good suggestion to lube my Lunkenheimer primer knob/plunger with? It's gotten sticky from the disuse lately.

Mike-

Latest posts

Back