• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Ponca City Cub

bobbuilder1313

Reaction score
Have very good paperwork for sale. 1947 Ponca City J3C-65 paperwork. NC 78419. Serial # 23160 (20 away from the very last Cub ever built). Built 2/28/47. Clean title. Includes FAA disc, Airworthiness Certificate, Data Plate, Bill of Sale, Log book from 1965 to present. TTAF 4426. $1,750 firm.

Bob Hunt

39-J3

Reaction score
What could someone legally do with this paperwork? Is it mostly for the collector of fine Cub documentation. I am not trying to be smart, I just see paperwork for sale a lot and curious what people do with it.

Larry

Jackson

Reaction score
Good point Larry.
If your airplane is destroyed in a crash to get full listed insurance, the insurance company requires you request deregistration and turn in the data plate because it was crashed and not rebuildable. Some people out there will take the junk airframe and piece meal it together. The SN bar above the pilot is removed and replaced with a 337 because of slight damage. The documentation and data plate that is listed for sale is then used to make a good profit.

bobbuilder1313

Reaction score
Would you all feel better if I called it a project minus a lot of parts? The fellow I bought it from told me it had not flown since 1987 and needed rebuilding/recovering. As time went on, he sold this piece then that piece and soon didn't have much left. ( I guess he realized he would never rebuild it). He did offer me the remaining parts, but I already had these and the shipping costs didn't warrant getting them. I planned to rebuild the project, but have three others and decided on selling this one. If someone wants the remaining parts. I do have these for sale too.

Bob Hunt

39-J3

Reaction score
Bob,
My reason for asking this is I would like to build a project someday. I am hoping to come across a PA-11 someday that needs a complete overhaul rebuild. I do know paperwork can be an issue so the more I learn now the better I will be when the time comes to purchase a project.

Larry

Horsemutt

Reaction score
What's the very last j-3 piper made, S/N & N number?

I noticed the op stating his 1947 j-3 was 20 from last, but the n number starts with 7, but mine was built in 46 with a n- number starting with 9.

Original 1

Reaction score
I noticed the op stating his 1947 j-3 was 20 from last, but the n number starts with 7, but mine was built in 46 with a n- number starting with 9.

Numerous J-3's produced in early to late 1946 started with 92***. 7 & 8**** were also common in 1946. You can guess within a month or so as to the production date of the 92*** numbered aircraft. Some of the late 46 through 47 N numbers (particularly Ponca City) had alphabet suffixes added. Pre-war J-3's were usually 2*****, 3*****, etc. Confusing? I apologize.
GUP

johnhefley

Reaction score
My Ponca City Cub has a manufacture date of 21 January 1947. It's serial number 22817.

joshualober

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Ponca City Cub has a manufacture date of 21 January 1947. It's serial number 22817.
Mine is 22723, date of manufacture is 9 January 1947.

jl

dataplate2.jpg

dataplate2.jpg

dataplate2.jpg

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Josh's Cub is awesome. Just ask him! :)

Happy New Year Josh! Yeah, my Cub STILL isn't flying and still has black face instruments. ::)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk