• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Painting my rudder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennj3

Reaction score
I may have finished the yellow tonight, wont know for sure until I look at it in a brighter light outside.
Very frustrating trying to paint in a small not well lit area. Well vented though.
I did the aero thane, worked well, beautiful egg shelled dimples. Kept getting a run too.
I let her sit for several hours and sanded (just enough to rough up yet smooth over) with 400 grit, cleaned and wiped off. Re painted the fourth coat.
I think it takes about 7 days to dry out well.

I used more reducer and less air pressure as the book said but I kept getting egg shell.

The painters mask worked very well but then I was not in a room full of mist and for not very long.
Just information for anyone interested.

I have the aero thane with the catalyst mixed in my outside refrigerator. I think it will last a couple of days in there if I need it again? Also, I would assume I would need to warm the paint up to around 60 degrees before using it again ?
Also wondering if it is OK to paint over aero thane with Poly Tone if it came down to needing to do that?

Latest posts

Back