• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

PA-11 project complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that this project is finished except for a few paperwork issues, I thought I would post a few pictures. I mostly lurk, so I haven’t kept a running progress report. I bought the project four years ago and worked on it when I could, then after retirement a year ago, it became a 5-6 day a week pursuit. I headed to Texas and attended several of Pierce’s seminars to learn to cover and eat barbeque. I chose the
Stewart System process because there was less chance I would blow myself up, and it is user friendly. Craig Frisby, Rexburg Air Service, Rexburg, Idaho rebuilt the C-90 as well as helping me with the more technical issues I didn’t have the expertise to accomplish. I couldn’t have accomplished this without him and his engineer’s eye. I spent a month in his hangar with my hands in my pockets watching him use his skills to install the engine components, engine controls as well as rig the flight controls. Great guy. I am excited to be at this point.
I had saved before retirement as a teacher to complete this project, it did cost but it was fun and rewarding. I did learn one painful truth in the process. If you are using paint stripper, take off your gloves before you step outside the hangar to pee.

Project pickup in Missouri:
PICT0112.JPG

C-90

DSC00476-001.JPG
DSC00679.JPG

I added the Bi Plane investments 12-gallon tank in the right wing so I don’t have to carry fuel bags in the back seat when I head to the backcountry.

100_1882.JPG

I made new interior panels, seats covered locally with leather, and I used Jim Fix’s fancy three-layer foam in the seats. They are very comfortable. I installed a battery powered Trig comm and transponder. I had Aerotronics in Billings, Montana custom cut the Clyde Smith blank panel for me, a AV tech at a local university built my wiring harnesses and then Craig Frisby did the final wiring installation. We mounted a modern SIRS compass on top of the panel because there obviously wasn’t room in the panel because of the radios.
DSC00699.JPG
DSC00706.JPG

I used Aerographics for the wing paint masks and other lettering, they were great to work with and have tremendous costumer service.

DSC00701.JPG
DSC00702.JPG

Grove brakes, Steve’s master cylinders, and Steve’s gascolater were also added.

The Supercub.org site as well as the J-3 site provided me a lot of help with the knowledge, tips and techniques available. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back