• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Old Photos I Scanned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
These aren't Cub photos.......but at least the plane is yellow!

The photos below are scans of old slides I had never seen until tonight when I scanned them. Wow. What memories of my dad and rebuilding the Stinson with him.

The plane is a 1931 Stinson Jr-S (N11168) dad and I restored. The slide frames are dated August 1980 which would be about right as I recall, we first flew it in Sept or Oct that year.

The person propping is my dad. I am in the cockpit. At the time, we had just hung the wings and plumbed the fuel system and we were test running the engine to check the fuel system for leaks. Note the missing fuel tank covers on the bottom of the wings, the unpainted (dark zinc chromate primered) landing gear shock struts.

At this point, we still didn't have the starter overhauled and installed. A booster coil was installed and just as the prop was swung, the coil was activated in the cockpit. With the coil, it started pretty easily. It was almost impossible to start without it.

We bought the plane as a complete basket case when I was middle school. We worked on it in the off season (ag flying) and between other customer's restoration projects so it took several years.

Dad sold the plane in December 1985 to a guy named Frank Sharp down in Orlando, FL. He still owns it today.

1931 JrS-1.jpg

1931 JrS-2.jpg

1931 JrS-5.jpg

1931 JrS-4.jpg

1931 JrS-1.jpg

1931 JrS-2.jpg

1931 JrS-5.jpg

1931 JrS-4.jpg

1931 JrS-1.jpg

1931 JrS-2.jpg

1931 JrS-5.jpg

1931 JrS-4.jpg