• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

project J3 in Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh_j3_downunder

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im looking at starting a cub project, this cub has been in the family handed down so it won't be cheaper buying a already flying cub as its worth more than money can buy to me.

My grandfather bought it and he and my dad have had so many memories in it and now I want a turn at making some memories in it with my dad.

The cub hasn't flown since I was a little fella. Cant even remember flying in it now (I'm 21 now). It got hung up out of the way in our hangar to make room for dads other planes (Tigermoth, Yak 52, Decathlon ect..)when he was running his scenic flight business. He has since sold the business and the hangar and now the cub is hanging up in our small 3 bay shed at home.

I've only just started my licence so only 10hrs flying experience so sorry if I don't understand some things you guys say.

Just a quick browse on the internet and I pulled up this info on the cub we have.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer:PIPER AIRCRAFT CORPModel:J-3C-65Serial:2381

Year: 1940

VH-CGG.jpg

Oddly, very few true "Piper Cubs" were imported into Australia
until, that is, the sport and vintage aircraft enthusiast movement gained momentum after 1980 or so. This one, however, was photo-graphed much earlier at Mildura, Victoria by Bob Neate (via Geoff Goodall) in September 1962.

It was previously N21529, and had been imported by a farmer in Horsham Victoria. A year after this image was taken it was re-registered VH-APO with new owner Queensland Airplanters at Bundaberg, as an air taxi to carry pilots and engineers between its agricultural seeding fleet of
DH Dragons, Tiger Moths and later Callairs. As VH-APO, it is still
current

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It isn't in too bad condition (despite looks) it just needs a lot of TLC. It was flying right up until it got hung up and was stored as best as dad could (engine sealed up and lubricated and all the rest ect...)

The fabric seems in good nic and we don't really have the funds to re-cover it so a strip of the old paint, and new paint job will be done. Apparently dad has had someone check the skins and said it was all sweet :)

I want to restore the plane to look as close to original as possible.

Hope you guys can help me out as I see you do in other threads

Cheers

Josh

Latest posts

Back