• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need Help Understanding What I Have!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ennisk1

Reaction score
Hello...

I just joined the forum and am thrilled that I found it. My wife and I recently inherited a 1948 Piper Cub PA-11 (Serial #11-858) from her father. Her dad, Joe, was a lifetime avaiation buff, a private pilot, and a career aviation mechanic. A great guy that is truley missed by us and his grandsons. He aquired the Piper in the late 1950's and fixed it up with the help of his father (another aviation buff). We have great period photos of the Cub being worked on and also flying with Joe at the stick.

About 30 years ago or so, Joe disassembled the Cub in preperation for a restoration, as it happened, life got in the way and it was put off. Joe carted the plane and all the parts (Including the Continental motor #17009) with him around the country until he ended up in Southwest Colorado about 18 years ago....and that is where it has been ever since. Joe was always looking forward to getting the plane back together and taking his grandson's flying, but it never happened.

Now my wife and I must decide what to do with the plane and associated parts, but first we need some guidance. Any help would be appreciated. I will post some photos later and some additional information once I locate the box with the info. It is important to my wife and me that the plane end up with an enthusiast that will restore the plane. In my examination of the airframe and parts, it is possible, but it would be a big project. Any help would be appreciated as we aren't even sure what questions to ask. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back